Monday, January 5, 2009

Today, another day in the lessons of patience...

Today started out kind of slow, rather I should say, I started out kind of slow. I just couldn't get it together when I woke up this morning. So, since I am fortunate enough to work from home, I started up my computer which took some time and many restarts to get logged in. Hmmm, that should have been my first clue as to how the rest of the day would proceed. Well, I did succeed in getting logged on and my applications up, but not without delays. The programs were moving incredibly slow if they wanted to work at all. Okay, deep breath. Just take a few deep breaths, step away from the computer, get some coffee and start again...I ended up calling the help desk, they are located in Miami, I am in Oregon. Enough said. After getting nowhere with Roxie who simply told me the network was just busy since everyone was just returning from the holiday, ahem, we worked thru the holiday here short of Christmas and New Year's day and seriously, at any given time, 7 days a week, there are hundreds of us on the so-called network.

I do know what I am talking about, but I have my doubts about poor Roxie :-) Well, things did not get better with the computer so I took it apart and hauled it into work. Here's where the lesson really took a turn. I called my own operations unit and spoke with Dennis who is the epitome of patience. Just this one instance of someone who took the time to allow me to rant on in my stress and calmly told me everything was okay just come on in was exactly what I needed to calm myself down and realize that the world was indeed NOT coming to an end! It usually feels like it when electronics, such as my computer or not being able to be to work on time, etc come into my life and disrupt my order.

What I took from today's little episode, everything is not as bad as I make it out to be in my head. My first reaction to these things is panic first and then sort out things logically later. I am learning or should I say, I am teaching myself patience and fortunately people are placed in my life just at the right times when I need them to help me to learn patience. For this I am truly grateful. I am pretty easy going for the most part. Most of the time I don't let things bother me. The computer or being late, well, that's another story!

My friend Jean says, "Just pick up your knitting..." \0/


~I commit myself daily to having a great day and will continue to do so everyday, regardless! \0/

No comments: